The Ho Laboratory at the School of Biomedical Sciences of the University of Hong Kong (https://holab-hku.github.io/) focuses on the use of bioinformatics and systems biology approaches to tackle longstanding problems in basic and transnational medicine. Most projects in this laboratory involve integrative analysis next-generation sequencing (NGS) data such as single-cell RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, and whole genome sequencing data. Some research areas include:
- Scalable algorithm for single cell RNA-seq analysis
- 3D virtual reality visualisation of biological data
- Wearable devices, physical activity and heart rate dynamics
- Causal disease mutation identification in whole genome sequencing data
- A cloud-based approach for incorporating scalability into genome informatics
- Integrative metagenomics analysis
We are seeking outstanding PhD students to join our laboratory. Very strong candidates are eligible to apply for a prestigious Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF), which will provide a monthly tax free scholarship of HK$25,100 (US$3,210) per month. The fellowship also provide a travel allowance of HK$12,600 (US$1,600) per year for the duration of the candidature. The Faculty of Medicine will also provide a one-off monetary award for successful HKPF recipient.
Besides the HKPF, other postgraduate scholarships are available for strong candidates.
Strong candidates will also be considered for a research assistant position or postdoctoral fellowship (for PhD holders).
- Bachelor degree in a quantitative discipline (bioinformatics computer science, statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering, etc), with first class honours or equivalent.
- Proficient in at least one programming / scripting language (R, python, perl, C, C , Java, etc)
- Familiarity with the Unix operating system
- Prior experience in bioinformatics is desirable
How to apply
Please send your CV along with a cover letter stating your research interest to Dr. Ho.